Gennady Golovkin accuses Saul Canelo Alvarez of being long-term drug cheat
Gennady Golovkin launched a remarkable attack on rival Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on Tuesday, accusing the Mexican fighter of being a long-term drug cheat who is protected by “corrupt” boxing officials.
Alvarez tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol during samples collected on Feb. 17 and Feb. 20, with the test results being revealed on March 4.
He and Golovkin are due to take part in a rematch in Las Vegas on May 5, having battled to a controversial draw last year.
Alvarez has insisted that the levels of clenbuterol in his system were as a result of tainted meat consumed while in Mexico. Golovkin ridiculed those claims while indicating the Nevada Athletic Commission were conspiring to ensure Alvarez would not face sanction.
More: Canelo Alvarez fails drug test, blames contaminated meat
Related: Canelo, Golovkin each vow to win rematch of their memorable draw
“Come on, I told you, it’s not meat,” Golovkin told reporters at his training camp in Big Bear. “Canelo’s team are using these drugs and everybody’s trying to pretend it’s not happening.
“This guy, he knows. This is not his first day in boxing. He proves he gets benefits from everyone and he can get away with it. The commentators, commission, doping commission – this is a very bad business, (it’s) not sport. Check him on a lie detector and then we can find out everything.”
Many observers believed Golovkin won the first fight, however, it was scored even when one judge gave Alvarez victory by an extraordinary 118-110 margin, another gave Golovkin a narrow win and a third scored it 114-114.
The 35-year-old said he suspected Alvarez was a drug cheat before their first encounter.
“Before the first fight, I knew he was not clean,” Golovkin added. “Have a look at the video. He used some pills. It was pretty obvious when his muscles were all with traces of injections. I’ve known it for a long time.”
Golovkin also insinuated that Alvarez’s promoter, Golden Boy Promotions chief Oscar De La Hoya, had used performance-enhancing drugs during his career.
“You can talk about (De La Hoya),” Golovkin added. “He is also not clean. He is dirty.”
Golden Boy President Eric Gomez categorically dismissed Golovkin’s assertions.
“It is ridiculous,” Gomez told USA TODAY Sports. “(GGG) doesn’t sound like a confident fighter. I guess he has a lot of insecurities. There is an investigation (into the clenbuterol) and we are cooperating. When it is complete, all the facts will come out.
“Canelo is a clean fighter, the facts and statistics back it up.”
Nevada Athletic Commission executive director Bob Bennett had no comment as the investigation into the matter is still pending.
Golovkin said that after the decision in the first fight, members of the commission had avoided him.
“Looking at the commission, they all put their head down to avoid the eye contact,” Golovkin said. “They don’t want to watch. I reviewed the fight again and I just realized that these people, people like that, are terrorists, they are killing the sport.”